Saturday, March 27, 2010

New Advice for Models

I've been getting a lot of contact from people looking for work as art models. It's getting so frequent that I thought I'd put the info up here for ease of access.

If you're "cold calling", which is to say, sending out an email to someone you haven't spoken to before, present yourself in a professional manner. Modeling is a kind of performance, and performers send a note of introduction that includes their skills, contact information, and a photo. A model is no less a performer. Offering complete information up front projects an air of confidence and experience. Be aware that a photo has 1000 times the impact of an email alone. Even if the recipient isn't hiring immediately, a picture is more likely to stick in the mind and result in a future job. It doesn't have to be a nude or modelling pic, just a nice, simple photo that clearly depicts your face and shoulders is fine. If you have some really unusual image that might help you stand out consider including that if you think it's appropriate, just be careful of the audience you're sending to. An art school might have more conservative tastes than an independent arts group.
Don't forget your contact information!!

The idea is that you're offering something (your unique skills) not asking for something (work). This resonates better on a subconscious level, and makes you seem more valuable.

Be persistent, not insistent!
Do follow up every couple of weeks, even if they don't hire you immediately. A gently reminder that you're available might keep you in mind when something does open up. Don't call too often, though--it comes across as needy and gets irritating, and will work against you.

Specifically for male models: It is unquestionable harder for you guys! Don't take it personally. Experienced artists are comfortable with models of any gender, but less experienced artists may be uncomfortable with male models. You might expect inexperienced guys in a class to be a little put off, but inexperienced girls can also feel intimidated. Don't take it personally, it's not you. Many women who pose have dancing experience, and pose well. It's much less common to find a male model who can pose well, and that's a highly desired talent, much more so than a good physique (the artist can always draw in extra muscles if he really wants to). If you have some unique physical training, do mention it up front, and maybe include a picture of yourself in action doing it.

Also check out my earlier post--some advice for a new model: http://nyfiguredrawing.blogspot.com/2009/02/tips-for-art-models.html

I have a list of all the walk-in classes that I know of in the NYC area (as of about a year ago). It's called Classes about Town, feel free to download it and use it for leads. There are also new classes springing up on Meet up.com all the time.
You can download the list here: http://www.meetup.com/FigureSketching-NYC/files/

Regarding my Summer Sketch Group: I only have 2-3 sessions per month, and I usually hire models I've worked with before, so I don't have too many openings, but I do keep contact info on file, since occasional openings DO come up.

Best of luck,
Jeff

10 comments:

  1. Dear Jeff,
    I know you said you usually only work with models you've employed before, but I'd like you to consider hiring someone new (me!). I think the human body is beautiful in all shapes and sizes and I support people capturing that in art. I am nineteen years old, 5'4, and a little less than 100lbs. Although I am thin, I can assure you I have curves. I will send you a picture if you send me your email so I could send it to you in a less public forum. I can hold positions for a very long time and am easy to work with. I love art and I am very comfortable and confident in my own skin. Please consider using me as a model this summer.
    Thank you for your consideration,
    Gaby Biederman

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I thought my email would show up so I didn't include it, but you can contact me at GabyWestB@gmail.com. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 6f2 white modle looking for work work colleges studios nyc nj andoversnow yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. 6f2 white modle looking for work work colleges studios nyc nj andoversnow yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. white male do nude cleaning women only cassidyrow@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. white male do nude cleaning women only cassidyrow@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Professional figure model and dance teacher with many years of experience. Dynamic and inspiring dance poses
    Free spirit and comfortable working in my skin.Gmaderski@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Professional figure model and dance teacher with many years of experience. Dramatic and inspiring poses. May I be of service? Contact: Gmaderski@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jeff,

    My name is Masha and I’m a figure model and artist (with an MFA), with 7+years of modeling experience, writing to inquire if you may be in need of a life model. Between art schools and modeling I’ve been on both sides of the situation and have a good understanding of what it takes to be a good model.

    I live in Brooklyn, size 2, 105lbs, 5'5", long, curly, red hair, slim and in shape, experienced, professional, reliable, comfortable with my body, and very easy to get along with. I have no tattoos or piercings and my schedule is flexible. I’m also a Yogi and have no problem holding long poses.

    Here is my portfolio on Model Mayhem:

    http://www.modelmayhem.com/2273038

    Please be sure to turn off the "work-safe mode" at the top right in the portfolio section to see the nudes. You don't have to be a member of the site to view them.
    I’m also attaching a few images to this email.

    I would love to pose for your group of artists.

    Thanks for your time and have a great day.

    Best,

    Masha

    Masha1028@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete